Thursday, May 5, 2011

Party In My Mouth

Happy Cinco de Mayo all! I'm thankful to Mexicans for dedicating a day to drown in tequilas and margaritas.

My otherwise techy and geeky colleagues were in a party mood today at the annual Hot Chili & Salsa cookoff organized by my company. I entered a food competition for the first time and it wasn't too shabby considering I bagged two prizes for my recipe :). So the cookoff happens every year on Cinco de Mayo with two judging categories - 5 judges pick the top three recipes after blind tasting and a people's choice award based on the most votes. Going with my seasonal favorite, I made a mango salsa. The recipe was simple, but you just can't go wrong with mango! I received an award by the judges and won the people's choice award. I'm beating myself for not taking any pictures, but the salsa was gone before I knew it. Well, I'm a happy camper after getting a set of colorful cutting mats and a slicer from Williams Sonoma!

*05/06/2011 update* I thought I would share this. I walked into my office this morning and found a mango at my desk! I have no idea who it was, but someone brought a mango for me after the cookoff. I smiled and put it in my bag to go home and share it with my hubby. Someone clearly liked the salsa enough to take the effort of bringing a mango to the office :D. I wish whoever it was left the name so I could make some more salsa and send it back! Well, however funny, that made my day :).

Here's my recipe...

Mango Salsa

Ingredients:
2 1/2 mangoes - seeded and diced
2 Red tomatoes - diced
1 Avocado - pitted and diced
1/2 Medium onion - finely chopped
1 Sweet red pepper (the long ones) - finely chopped
1 Sweet yellow pepper - finely chopped
1/4 Green bell pepper - finely chopped
1 Jalapeno(with veins and seeds) - finely chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic - crushed and minced
1 Small bunch cilantro - chopped
Lime juice from 1 1/2 limes
Jalapeno sauce - as needed
Salt to taste
  • Mix all the ingredients well. *I ran my knife through the tomatoes once after cutting them just to get the juices flowing.* Add jalapeno sauce as needed. The cookoff was named 'Hot Chili & Salsa', so my salsa was on the hot side. But fear not, you can always adjust the heat and the mango comes as a sweet surprize.
  • Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes before serving.

This is a great recipe for Cinco de Mayo fiesta. Now drink the night away!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...