Wednesday, May 25, 2011

First Grilling Experiment

I've grown to enjoy grilling quite a lot over the past few years. Thanks to my generous landlady in Utah who kept a small grill for my use, summers were a lot more tolerable. Gather a few friends, get some stuff to grill and you have a party! We're having a BBQ soon to celebrate our new grill, but the two of us enjoyed a delicious gilled veggie pizza the other day. My original plan was to make grilled veggie fajita but it changed suddenly when I saw broccolini at the grocery store. It reminded me of my favorite pizza from CPK which I decided to recreate in my kitchen - I mean patio :).

Normally, I would make a whole wheat crust at home. But this time I took a shortcut with a premade pizza crust. To make up for it, the home-made component was the pizza sauce. Why didn't I ever think of making pizza sauce at home?! Easy Peasy! I got the basic method on AllRecipes.com (sorry, I can't find the recipe I looked up). As usual I changed it to suit my liking.

Home-made pizza sauce
Pizza Sauce


Ingredients:
1 Can diced tomatoes (1lb)
2 Tablespoons tomato puree
3 Cloves chopped garlic
1 Teaspoon italian herbs
Handful of fresh basil leaves chopped - From my garden :)
Salt to taste
Fresh cracked pepper
2-3 Teaspoons olive oil

  • Saute garlic in olive oil until soft and aromatic.
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on high heat for around 10-15 minutes or until you have the right consistency.
  • You can puree the sauce or leave it slightly chunky as I did.

Sweet basil from my garden
Chillin' on the grill
Ready to roast
Mmm..mmm...good!
Grilled Veggie Pizza


Ingredients:
Veggies - Broccolini, japanese eggplant, portobello mushroom, red bell pepper, zucchini, avocado, sundried tomatoes
Your favorite pizza crust
Feta crumbles - I used garlic and herb flavored
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons balsami vinegar
Italian seasoning
Garlic powder
Salt for taste

  • Dice red bell pepper and zucchini thinly. Slice the eggplant in the center vertically.
  • Mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a bowl and toss in all the veggies except avocado and sundried tomatoes.
  • Once the veggies get a nice bath in oil and vinegar, grill them until crispy. I grilled the diced pepper and zucchini over aluminum foil and the rest directly over flame. Slice the mushroom and eggplant after grilling.
  • On the side, slice pitted avocado and sundried tomatoes. Spread pizza sauce on the crust, add all the veggies. Sprinkle some Italian seasoning, garlic powder, a little bit of salt and about 2 teaspoons balsamic vingegar (this is the best part!). Top it off with feta cheese crumbles.
  • Roast/Grill the pizza over aluminum foil until the crust is crispy and the cheese melted.

Enjoy with some chili flakes on top and your favorite wine on the side. O-H Y-U-M!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...