Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cooking For Fun

I've found a new hobby in blogging. It has made me more conscious of 'what and how much' while cooking. But in all honesty, I don't want that to take away from cooking for the fun of it. My favorite kind of cooking is without measuring spoons and cups. All the recipes I post are approximations without the exact measurements. Today, I decided to celebrate cooking for the simple joy of it. Not caring to make a mental note of the measurements. There was something almost liberating as my mind wasn't preoccupied with remembering every little detail and whether there was 1 teaspoon or 2 of something.

On the menu tonight: A healthy burrito & my hubby's ultimate favorite baked sweet potato fries.

I'm going to share what went into the dishes without attaching numbers to them!

Burritos with low-fat whole wheat tortillas, home-made guacamole, cooked kidney beans seasoned with cumin powder, cayenne and paprika, salad mix (lettuce, carrots, red cabbage), yogurt & some shaves of colby-jack cheese. Topped with a little more cheese & lots of hot sauce. Don't get scared - this sauce is not super hot.

*I'm real stingy when it comes to the use of cheese, oil or the likes. I substitute yogurt for sour cream or mayo whenever I can. Fresh and light!
*Having a whole bag of shredded cheese in the fridge gives me sleepless nights (because it means I have to use it for more recipes than I planned on). A smarter option - I picked up a couple of small cheese snacks and shaved some on my burrito. Smart portion without leftovers.


Baked Sweet Potato Fries (shouldn't they be called 'bakies' if they're not fried? Okay, lame..I know): Peeled sweet potato cut up roughly into equal sized strips for even baking, tossed in a little bit of EVOO, cayenne, chipotle, fresh cracked black pepper, salt and a little bit of rice flour for crunch. Baked at 350F until thoroughly baked and slightly crunchy on the outside. Garnished with finely chopped cilantro.

*The baked sweet potato fries at restaurants have excessive amounts of oil making them not much better than the fried ones. I loved the home-made version where I could control the amount of oil. Of course, it was important to coat the fries enough to lock in moisture while baking.
*I added just a little bit of rice flour to the mix at the very end. Perfect crunch!



I reminded myself to cook because I love it. And I enjoyed it all anew :). 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...