Sunday, January 9, 2011

What would've been my first post!


This was the first recipe I wrote down when I started creating a blog back in August, 2010! I don’t have a picture of the dish unfortunately, but I had really liked this recipe – so you here you go. The original recipe was in a Costco cookbook and I changed it a little bit based on what I had in my pantry. Hope you like it.

Spinach-Rice Cakes with Yogurt Sauce

Ingredients:
1 cup rice – I used thick sticky rice since it holds together
Your favorite wine to cook rice with
1-1/2 cups chopped spinach
1 small finely chopped onion
Chopped Cayenne pepper – I used the canned one
Minced garlic
Cumin powder
Olive oil
Bread crumbs
Grated Parmesan
Salt
Yogurt
Garlic-herb mix powder
Cracked black pepper

  • In a pot, cook the rice in water and some wine. Cooking rice with wine was my addition to the original recipe – I used Sutter Home blush wine I had bought in Napa valley. The rice should be sticky enough so you can make patties/cakes out of it.
  • Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a pan and sauté minced garlic and onion until golden brown.
  • Add the chopped spinach, cayenne pepper for some heat, cumin powder and salt for seasoning.
  • Mix the cooked rice and spinach and let the flavors mingle. Let it cool. Make round cakes about an inch thick.
  • Coat the rice cakes in bread crumbs and grated Parmesan mixture.
  • Sauté the cakes in a pan using a little bit of olive oil (I believe the original recipe mentioned frying these cakes but who needs those extra calories?). The cakes are done when they turn golden brown.
  • To accompany the cakes, mix yogurt, cumin powder, garlic/herbs mix powder, cracked black pepper and some salt. The yogurt sauce is a great pair to balance the heat from cayenne pepper.

I will make this again some time and post the pictures!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...