I have a sweet tooth…and my husband has an ‘ice-cream’ tooth! I’m not kidding; he can have ice-cream for any meal of the day. So I made something that made both of us very happy – warm, ooey gooey blueberry compote in a crispy spring roll wrapper cone with vanilla ice-cream. Now don’t get thrown by the long name of this dessert – it’s super simple and easy to make. This dessert was something I just put together because I got a big box of fresh blueberries in the grocery store and wasn't going to eat them all with my oatmeal!
Warm Blueberry Compote in Crispy Cones With Vanilla Ice-cream
2 Cups Blueberries
¾ Cup sugar (You can add a little more or little less depending on how sweet you like it)
1 ½ Cups water
1 Teaspoon vanilla essence
1 Teaspoon lemon juice
1 Pinch of salt
6 Square spring roll wrappers
Melted butter to brush on the wrappers
Your favorite vanilla ice-cream
Work on your crispy cones first –
- Brush the spring roll wrappers with melted butter on one side. Fold them in half across the diagonal to make triangles.
- Fold the triangles from the longest side into a cone and stick the ends with some more butter. This is as complicated as it gets, I promise!
- Brush the cones from outside with some butter and put them on a baking sheet.
- Bake the cones in the oven for a few minutes (sorry, I didn’t check the exact time but doesn’t take very long) on 300F. They are done when they turn golden brown. Keep monitoring so they don’t burn.
- In a pot, combine the blueberries, water, and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Add vanilla essence and sprinkle a pinch of salt, reduce the heat and simmer the mixture until the blueberries cook well and you have that ooey gooey yummy compote.
- Add lemon juice to the compote and stir. The compote recipe is pretty standard, but the lemon juice was an addition I found online. It tasted really good!
Put it together-
- Fill up the spring roll wrapper cones with that blueberry yumminess.
- Serve a couple of scoops of vanilla ice-cream, tuck the blueberry compote filled cones on one side and pour some more warm compote on the ice-cream.
This is pure bliss! The warm compote with cold ice-cream and the nice crunch of the cones with the gummy compote is just perfect. I was very happy with this creation and my husband more than just approved it (he ate the leftover compote for his breakfast the next day :D). I’m going to make it again for some party. It looks fancy, is really easy to make and most people like ice-cream!