I have a bunch of recipes to post before I go on adventuring more…and what better way to start than write about one of my childhood favorites?
My mom made a simple cauliflower sabji (seasoned/spiced vegetable) and made it fun…not that I didn’t eat my veggies but this is a great dish if you are not a big cauliflower fan yet want to eat healthy.
Crunchy Cauliflower with Ketchup!
1 ½ cup Cauliflower florets
1 tablespoon Ketchup
1 teaspoon oil
Mustard seeds for seasoning
1 pinch Asafoetida
1-2 pinches turmeric powder
½ teaspoon cumin-coriander powder
Red chili powder
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and wait till they pop. Add a pinch of asafoetida, turmeric powder and the cauliflower florets immediately so the turmeric powder doesn’t burn.
- Add the cumin-coriander powder (you can find this in Indian grocery stores. Cumin or coriander powders are sold separately or blended) and red chili powder per your spice tolerance.
- Sprinkle some salt for taste…be conservative since ketchup has a lot of sodium. Mix well, cover the pan and let it cook for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Cauliflower is watery in nature, so you may not need to add any water. And remember, the title says ‘crunchy cauliflower’ so don’t overcook it.
- Uncover and add the star ingredient of the dish – ketchup! Ketchup seems out of place in a sabji but believe me, you’ll love the sweet-tangy taste. Cook for a couple of minutes until the flavors marry and Tadaaa(my lame attempt at giving a sound effect!) Your dish is ready.
Simple, tasty and on the healthier side. You can enjoy this sabji by itself or eat it with some roti – Indian whole wheat tortilla.
Make this for your kids if they don’t get their full serving of veggies!