Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spring Sprouts

Yes, it's supposed to be spring and it's time your plants start sprouting. But it's been a pretty lousy spring with cloudy skies and chilly weather :(. My poor plants do get their share of sunlight but I know they are craving warmth.Yet I was feeling 'spring' yesterday after getting an awesome much needed new spring hairstyle and stopping by the farmer's market on my way home. The farmer's market visit was unplanned and I only managed to buy a basket of tasty strawberries and brussel sprouts with the little cash I was carrying. Time for some sprouts =).

Past week has been quite hectic with work and social activities and I haven't made my run to the grocery store. My fridge and pantry were pretty empty and the brussel sprouts came to dinner rescue. I used whatever was lurking around and turned the brussel sprouts into a tasty dinner with some spring notes.



Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Potatoes 

Ingredients:
10-12 Brussel Sprouts
2 White potatoes
2 Cloves garlic
1 Tbsp EVOO
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Spring fresh oregano - from my garden :)
1-2 Teaspoons dried parsley
Dash of paprika
Salt & fresh ground pepper for seasoning

Basic Prep: Preheat oven to 350F.

  • Wash the brussel sprouts and cut in halves. Peel the potatoes and cut them in 3/4 inch cubes. I used white potatoes which were a great choice, but small red potatoes will taste just as good. 
  • Crush the garlic cloves and give them a rough chop. Take the oregano leaves and chop them as well.
  • In a casserole, mix EVOO, lime juice, garlic, oregano, parsley, paprika (don't OD the paprika else it'll take away the beautiful green color away), salt and pepper. Whisk it all together.
  • Add the veggies and toss them well. 
  • Put the casserole in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the potatoes cook and brussel sprouts turn golden brown, tossing half way in.
My kitchen was filled with wonderful lime and herb aroma just as I mixed the ingredients. It smelled heavenly once the dish was done which made it taste all the better =).
*I used oregano since that's what I planted this year. Thyme will make an excellent choice as it goes well with lime. 

2 comments:

Priyanka said...

Looks yummy! Post your garden's pictures - fan request! :)

Snehal said...

Thank you, Priyanka! :)

Will post the pictures soon. I have a humble little garden. Most of them are still 'babies' =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...