Friday, April 15, 2011

Hors d'œuvre

My healthy eating habits have taken a back seat since getting married. Both of us tend to binge on food since my hubby has a personal chef now and I, a personal guinea pig ;). A can of pitted black olives, meant for healthy sandwiches and salads, had been sitting in a corner in my pantry and it was about time I gave it a happy ending. And happy it sure was. I had fallen in love with tapenade after trying it at a local beach-side restaurant. The beautiful view of the ocean may have added to the taste, but this salty-savory hors d'oeuvre holds its own. Tapenade is a Mediterranean condiment/spread with crushed olives, capers and olive oil. The dish I tried was a sandwich which used tapenade just as a spead, but I made a sandwich using just that. This is a great spread for garlic bread, wheat crackers or even pizzas!

Tapenade Sandwich
Olive shaped tapenade

Black Olive Tapenade

Ingredients
1 6oz. Can pitted black olives
2-3 Teaspoons capers
1 Clove garlic
2 Teaspoons dried parsley - use fresh if you have it
1/2 - 1 Teaspoons red chili flakes
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • Wash and drain the olives
  • Toss the olives, capers, garlic, parsley and red chili flakes in the mortar and crush/pound well adding a little bit of olive oil in between. The olives start secreting oil as you crush them so I went easy on OO. Crush it as fine as you like.
  • Capers are salty so I didn't find any need to add salt.
  • I used white sandwich bread to make a tapenade sandwich and grilled it, choose your favorite.
  • You can make this in the food processor as well, but I personally like the taste developed by getting all the oils out in the mortar.
This dish can be made with all sorts of olives. You can get creative and add your favorite herbs. This made for a tasty evening snack!

1 comment:

Sidney said...

Appreciate you bloggiing this

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...