Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Turnip With Tadka

Thanksgiving week has arrived. Winter or not in San Diego, there are winter vegetables galore in my house. This is the first time my parents are truly experiencing all the winter foods. I've made stuffed acorn (which I plan to make again for our Thanksgiving feast), apple-fennel salad, pumpkin-leek soup, roasted sweet potatoes etc. for them so far. They've all been hit with the parents. Winter produce is not new to my mom, but she has rarely tried the non-Indian recipes. I am so glad that my parents are open to trying new foods, and that they actually like it! As I mentioned before, mom had experimented with different ingredients when she lived in the US for a few years. In order to incorporate the local produce into our daily meals, she had Indianized many ingredients; like this cranberry pickle. This simple turnip sabji is one of them. Mom makes turnips with just cumin-coriander, and chili powder for flavor. A simple tempering and little use of spices makes this a soulful dish.



Indian Style Turnip/ Turnip Sabji

Ingredients:
3 Medium turnips
2 Teaspoons oil
1/2 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 Teaspoon asafoetida
1/2 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon cumin-coriander powder
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
Salt to taste
Chopped cilantro for garnishing
  • Wash, peel, and cut turnips into 1/4 inch cubes. 
  • Heat oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds. 
  • Add asafoetida and turmeric powder once mustard seeds splutter, and add turnip. 
  • Add cumin-coriander, chili powder, salt, and mix well. 
  • Cover the pan and let turnip cook in its own moisture, adding 2-3 tablespoons water if necessary. Stir occasionally. 
  • Turn off heat once turnips are fork tender. Garnish with cilantro, and serve with rotis. 

We will be celebrating Thanksgiving with the family of one of my friends. I'm looking forward to our big meal.

What are you doing this Thanksgiving?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...