Thursday, November 10, 2011

Coconut Creamed Corn - From Jenny of Vintage Sugarcube

Hello everyone! I'm back from a wonderful vacation to India. Just as I recover from all the Diwali festivities, I can smell Thanksgiving in the air here. While I've taken a long break from cooking, I'll share a lip-smacking good creamed corn recipe by my blogger friend Jenny of Vintage Sugarcube.

The monthly meet-ups of San Diego Food Bloggers has given me the opportunity to meet some amazing bloggers and try their scrumptious dishes. Jenny and I met at the Bake Sale that initiated the food bloggers meetings and I've been an admirer of her blog since. As the name suggests, her blog is very vintage with some  delicious dessert recipes. Each of her recipes is woven through a funny story accompanied by fabulous pictures, like this or this. The effort she puts into each post is evident and her witty personality shines through them all. Check out her 'About Me' page for her published recipes.

Jenny brought this creamed corn dish to the bloggers meet a couple of months back, and everyone was raving about it. Not only does she know her desserts, she can cook. It was the best creamed corn I had ever had. Of course I helped myself to a few handsome spoonfuls of it. The secret ingredient? Coconut milk! Creamed corn is already yummy, but coconut milk takes it to a whole new level. The fresh corn and lime zest made it a perfect summer dish then. But I don't see why you wouldn't skip baked corn this Thanksgiving and make this utterly delicious creamy, fragrant, melt in the mouth corn dish instead. I asked Jenny to share the recipe on her blog, but she only posts dessert recipes. I immediately offered to do a guest post (a recipe this good needs to be shared with the world). Jenny was extremely kind to make the creamed corn again - twice, to get it perfect - and share the pictures and recipe with me. I was supposed to post it before leaving for India, but work schedule did not permit. Better late than never though, and just in time for the holidays.

Thanks, Jenny, for sharing this wonderful recipe with me and my readers.







Coconut Creamed Corn
By Jenny (www.vintagesugarcube.com)

Serves 6
Found and adapted via www.shutterbean.com  / Ad Hoc at Home Cookbook
  • 6 ears corn, shucked
  • 1 lime
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • ½ cup heavy cream (no cheating, gotta buy the heavy cream)
  • ½ cup coconut milk (please don’t buy the light/lite)
  • Few shakes or more of cayenne (I haven’t a clue how spicy you like it!)
  • ½ tsp salt
Cut corn off cobs and set aside.  I place a couple large pieces of wax paper under the cutting board to catch any flying kernels.  
Zest lime and set zest aside.
Melt butter in stock pan or medium skillet.  Microwave whole zested lime to soften it up a bit (30-45 seconds).  
Add corn and juice from lime to sizzling butter and sauté for 5 minutes.  
Then add cream and coconut milk, cayenne and salt.  Cook until creamy (approx 15-20 minutes) over low-medium heat.   
Stir in lime zest prior to serving.  

2 comments:

Jenny VintageSugarcube) said...

Snehal- Thank YOU so much for having me as a guest blogger. It's been a real joy to meet you.

aipi said...

I am a BIG corn lover n this definitely going to my must make list! :)
USMasala

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...